St Margarets of Antioch at Waddingworth
This small medieval and Georgian church is almost on the spot that claims to be the centre of Lincolnshire.
The church is tucked away in the corner of the farmyard surrounded by mature horse chestnut trees and is privately owned.
Although it is, for the most part, a 14th-century greenstone building, the church fell into disrepair and most of the building was reconstructed in brick in 1808 with further restoration in 1913 by HF Traylen of Stamford.
The delightfully furnished interior of the church is mostly due to Traylen’s work. He converted the box pews into panelling and provided a simple ‘English’ altar. The furniture is painted green. Traylen retained some furnishings including the pulpit and Georgian altar rails.
The only significant monument is a ledger slab in the nave floor to Edward Dymoke, a member of the prominent family seated nearby at Scrivelsby. But, even the tiniest of hamlets have a story to tell. Sir Henry Hubbertson, a former Waddingworth resident travelled to London and became a Merchant Taylor, becoming a sheriff in 1542 and then Lord Mayor of London in 1546.